Check out Abby's story behind the recipe:
In college, I loved going out for Greek food and found that my favorite entrée was a chicken pita stuffed with vegetables and the amazing dill Tzatziki sauce. I quickly realized just how simple the recipe must be so I started recipe trial and error in my own kitchen. Mastering the perfect grilled chicken marinade came easily. However, finding the perfect and quick Tzatziki sauce took some time to accomplish. It turns out, the simplest recipe made for the best sauce.
This recipe offers a wide variety of essential nutrients, is low in sodium, high in fiber, and very delicious! Give this Greek inspired recipe a go in your own kitchen!
Prep: 20 minutes • Cook: 20 minutes
Serves 4-6 • Serving Size: ½ pita pocket sandwich
- 1-2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 6 oz or 1 container plain greek yogurt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp feta cheese
- 1 tsp dried dill weed
- Pepper to taste
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 onion slices
- 1-2 cups spinach or other greens
- 2-3 whole wheat pita pockets, cut in half
1. Combine chicken breasts, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, and black pepper in a large ziplock bag. Mix until well combined and leave in refrigerator to marinade for 30 minutes.
2. While chicken is marinating, prepare Tzatziki sauce. Combine greek yogurt, garlic, lemon juice, feta, dill, and pepper. Stir to combine and store in the refrigerator.
3. Prepare desired pita toppings. Cut up cucumber, bell pepper, onion, tomato, and other desired vegetables. Set aside.
4. After ~30 minutes of marinating, sauté or grill chicken using a nonstick pan over medium high heat. Cook chicken for a total of 15-20 minutes until internal temperature reaches 165º F.
5. Remove chicken from pan and let stand for 5 minutes. Then, thinly slice chicken into strips.
6. Assemble pitas by layering chicken, desired vegetables, 1 Tbsp Tzatziki sauce, and 1 Tbsp hummus inside each pita pocket half. Serve with a side of fresh fruit and enjoy!