Happy National Nutrition Month! Our dietitians, RanDee and Abby, will be posting some of their favorite recipes throughout the month of March. This first recipe is one of Abby’s all time favorites!
Check out Abby's story behind the recipe:
In college, I loved going out for Greek food and found that my favorite entrée was a chicken pita stuffed with vegetables and the amazing dill Tzatziki sauce. I quickly realized just how simple the recipe must be so I started recipe trial and error in my own kitchen. Mastering the perfect grilled chicken marinade came easily. However, finding the perfect and quick Tzatziki sauce took some time to accomplish. It turns out, the simplest recipe made for the best sauce.
This recipe offers a wide variety of essential nutrients, is low in sodium, high in fiber, and very delicious! Give this Greek inspired recipe a go in your own kitchen!
Greek Chicken Pitas with Simple Tzatziki Sauce
Prep: 20 minutes • Cook: 20 minutes
Serves 4-6 • Serving Size: ½ pita pocket sandwich
1. Combine chicken breasts, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, and black pepper in a large ziplock bag. Mix until well combined and leave in refrigerator to marinade for 30 minutes.
2. While chicken is marinating, prepare Tzatziki sauce. Combine greek yogurt, garlic, lemon juice, feta, dill, and pepper. Stir to combine and store in the refrigerator.
3. Prepare desired pita toppings. Cut up cucumber, bell pepper, onion, tomato, and other desired vegetables. Set aside.
4. After ~30 minutes of marinating, sauté or grill chicken using a nonstick pan over medium high heat. Cook chicken for a total of 15-20 minutes until internal temperature reaches 165º F.
5. Remove chicken from pan and let stand for 5 minutes. Then, thinly slice chicken into strips.
6. Assemble pitas by layering chicken, desired vegetables, 1 Tbsp Tzatziki sauce, and 1 Tbsp hummus inside each pita pocket half. Serve with a side of fresh fruit and enjoy!
This blog is co-authored by Synergy's team of Registered Dietitian Nutritionists, Licensed Massage Therapists, and Diabetes Educators practicing in Bend, Oregon. As providers following Health at Every Size® (HAES) and Body Trust® philosophies, they strive to help EVERY BODY thrive.